The information provided below is intended to give designers a brief introduction to conditions in Cypress that may affect their building or facility design. Please contact the Building Division at (714) 229-6730 for specific questions.
- City of Cypress is located in Seismic Design Category D.
- The ultimate wind speed is 110 mph. And ASD Basic wind speed is 85 mph, this can be verified with ASCE 7-10, Table 16-1, 2013 CBC Table 1609.3.1. Most areas of Cypress can be classified as wind exposure category C. However, some areas may meet the criteria for exposure B (>= 1,500 feet away from open fields) and the design professional is responsible for justifying the exposure selected for the specific area of construction
- For additions and remodels, the soil bearing pressure is based on 1,500 pounds per square foot, unless a higher value is justified by a soils report. A 1/3 increase is allowed for wind/seismic.
- For retaining walls, lateral soil bearing pressure is based on 100 pounds per square foot per foot below natural grade, unless a higher value is justified by a soils report. Without a soils report the coefficient of friction is 130 psf x contact area of footing or 1/2 DL whichever is less.
- The climate zone is Zone 8.
- Rainfall design is based on two inches of rainfall per hour.
Requirements for Electric Vehicle Charging System
For all electric vehicle charging station permits, please download and complete, Guidelines for Residential and Non Residential Buildings, and bring with you when applying for the permit.
Requirements for Heating/Cooling Permits
For all heating/cooling alterations, please download and complete, CEC-CF1R-ALT-04-E Form, and bring with you when applying for the permit.
Requirements for Reroof
1. If re-roof project requires for roof sheathing to be replaced, a Radiant Barrier type sheathing will be required.
2. For Final inspection, download and complete Smoke Detector Verification form and leave for inspector to pick up. You may also email the form to us prior to calling for final inspection.